Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Tale of Networking-confessions of an introvert

So this evening after work, I resolved to go to the John Deere Multicultural job fair and networking reception in Johnston. It was my first time doing anything of the sort, and it had been on my mind all day. As I drove closer, following Googlemap's directions, hapless as they were, I got lost: A familiar scenario for me. As I drove around looking for signs that said John Deere on them, my mind began to present my getting lost as an excuse just to give up and go home. 'You don't need to network,' it distinctly said. 'Just go home, you know you want to.' I almost listened to the voice, but just then I spotted the John Deere building. My last chance to avoid this valuable networking opportunity was gone. 

After filling my pocket with business cards, I entered the building and immediately was intimidated by all the well-dressed business-like people standing around, no doubt conversing intelligently together about the success and features of their companies. After reminding myself to keep my shoulders back and walk gracefully, I made my way across the room to retrieve my nametag from the far table. After doing this, I felt somewhat at a loss as to what to do next. 

My old fears of social interaction came back to me again, along with the reddening of the eyes and the foaming at the mouth, both embarrassing but sure signs of my introvertedness. Did I really want to be here? I eyed a long table on which was perched graceful plates brimming with blueberries and grapes. Savory meatballs and delicate wedges of pita bread, platters of vegetables rested in the middle. At the far end, a 7-tiered glass structure held fancified little cakes of various flavors and fillings. After eyeing the cakes, I decided to stay. Two cakes and a meatball later, I had discovered that the cakes weren't worth staying for, but the company was. I noticed a lady from Meredith company, and introduced myself to her. Throughout the evening, she proved very kind and understanding, and I felt appreciated for who I was because I was being very open and honest with her the entire time. I told her that this was my first time at an event like this, and she responded by saying that she thought I was brave for coming and trying something totally new! We exchanged email addresses. After listening to the music of some lovely musicians and watching a short clip of the John Deere mission, I excused myself and headed home, fully glad I had come. One thing I admire about myself is my ability to find humor in embarrassing or discouraging situations. I am fond of laughing at myself, because if I don't laugh, I know I will get mad instead. :P

Things I learned from this experience:
1 That I should have a small introductory speech prepared about myself and what I do, {the elevator pitch as I think they called it at business horizons.}

2 I need better pumps-mine gave my feet a couple of beautiful blisters!

3 Business people are just like me: Eating, drinking, sleeping individuals-only with more experience

Overall, I am pretty proud of myself for doing this. It will be the first of my many networking endeavors, each hopefully more successful {and less stressful!} than the last. 

2 comments:

dee42 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dee42 said...

Its a Saturday nite, coffee in hand reading this, and it made me grin. I am glad I read this cause I am going to a fancy GALA the 12th of Oct. (already have comfortable shoes) And the part of how business people ect, well, I understand and agree.