Saturday, September 17, 2011

Autumn Coat

I used to tell people that Spring was my favorite season. But now that I have gotten older I have recognized something about myself. I dislike extremes. I don't want to be really cold or really hot. Who does? Spring and Fall are the most desirable in my mind, but if I had to choose between those two, I like Fall the best. 


There are several reasons for this:
For one thing, Fall is chilly, and after the heat of the summer, chilliness awakens a inclination to be innovative and a sense of urgency in me, because I know that Winter is coming, and before long it will be too cold to enjoy being outside with no less than a whole closet of clothes on. Fall feels like something is about to happen, something is coming, and this is exciting. Then my favorite part of Fall, you get to pull out all your coats and jackets from last year that you just ADORE. Does anyone else have a love affair with cute jackets? I have a whole closet of coats and jackets.
Fall is a good topic to blog about. And then you run into what to call it. There are several names. Indian Summer, Fall, Harvest and Autumn. According to my favorite etymology website, Autumn what do you know, derives from Old French,  Autumpne while Harvest comes from beautiful Old English hærfest. And although there is no evidence connecting Indian Summer to mean Fall, nonetheless it remains a well-known word for Autumn. As for Fall, your guess is as good as mine. I assume it has something to do with the falling leaves. 
Here is one of my favorite jackets, which I wore to school the other day: 


My hair was in a semi-messy up-do using an ivory-colored ragged fabric ribbon and some flowered clips, which unfortunately you can't see in this picture:

No comments: