Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Jobber Moment

Me and my Swatches.
Definition of Jobber: An individual who buys fabrics/textiles wholesale from mills or converters. He generally purchases mill overruns or discontinued styles and fabrics, so his wares are very rare and desirable.)


So the other day after class our professor told us that if we wanted to get extra credit there were a whole bunch of old textile swatches in the Fabric Lab that we could give away. She also said if we wanted any, we were welcome to them. Enthralled, some of the most ambitious students hurried to the Fabric Lab. There were dozens and dozens of swatches, some silky, some rough and grainy. It was a pleasure to feel through them all, such a delight to the sense of tough and sight: Silks and satins and wools, organzas, laces, prints, an entire laundry list of samples. It was like suddenly finding a treasure chest. I was having a Jobber moment. I took a moment to savor the feeling of being able to choose which fabrics I would touch, sorting through greens and silvers and grays. I began setting some aside; my stash to take home. I could make sleeve cuffs, trim, handbags, the list of fashionable ideas was blossoming. Here I am, pictured amongst my swatch pile, dazed by the possibilities. 

No comments: